torsdag 5 april 2012

I have been craving semlor since we went to the Swedish church and had one. Having only one semla during the 'semle-season' is about five to few, so now that we have access to a kitchen we thought it would be a fun afternoon baking project. 


First we got out all the ingredients on the kitchen counter to make sure we had everything we needed. We used the recipe Sue had found online. You can find the recipe here. The only adjustments we made was that we let the butter get to room temperature and mixed it in. Leila taught me a long time ago that melting the butter makes the buns dryer. 



Old school cardamon chopping. This was before grandma told me I could use the coffee grinder...


I'm in love with the Kitchen Aid. Such a fantastic machine, no sticky hands!


Buns that are ready to go in the oven.



To prepare the semla you cut off the top of the bun, the lid. Then you take out some of the bun in the lower half.


Put your bun pieces in a bowl with mandelmassa (almond paste) and a little splash of milk or cream. Mash together. 



Whip cream together with some sugar. I put in 2 teaspoons of cardamon to because it's just  so good.


Put you almond-mash-mix back in to the bun. Add some whipped cream. Put the lid back on top. And sprinkle on some powdered sugar. Ta-da!


Finally ready to eat. It only took us 2 hours!



The only true way of eating the semla according to Seb. As a 'hetvägg' - hot wall. You place your semla in a bowl of warm milk. I think it makes the semla to soggy, but what ever you prefer...


Since I'm allergic to mandelmassa (I'm not really allergic but that was my excuse as a kid since I didn't like almond paste or marzipan, which is weird since I LOVE almonds, anyway I still can't eat it) I had raspberry jam in mine. Raspberry jam that we got from Bea's, a local place up here. Tell you about it tomorrow.


Enjoying our semla while looking out the window and spying on some neighbors. 


All gone. But we still have 14 buns left! The recipe turned out very good, better than I expected. The buns were moist and fluffy. I would add some extra cardamon to the dough if you like the taste. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar