onsdag 14 mars 2012

As you probably have noticed the KONY 2012 campaign is all over Facebook and in the news. A lot of people are suspicious where the money is going and because of all the merchandise you can purchase. "Do the guys that made the movie make money off it? Isn't that illegal or something?!" Well guessing that they do have this as a full-time job now, I doubt they did when they started filming. I hope they don't make a profit of it though like I have heard some charity organizations do. This campaign also shows once again how powerful social media is. It's so easy to share thoughts and information (good or bad) this way through You Tube, Twitter and Facebook. Over night everybody knew who Joseph Kony was. But the question is, does that make people do anything about it? Does it make people get involved just because they saw it on You Tube? I've seen the movie but I have not donated any money or activated myself in anyway, does that make me a bad person? There are so many causes to choose from now when everything is so accessible, you can't get involved in all of them but how do you make your pick?


The reason why I'm brining Kony up is because I was confused the first days. Everybody was posting it on Facebook and I felt like 'Don't people already know about this?'. It felt like old news. Then I few days later I realized that the reason I knew about it was because I read a book last winter, The worst date ever by Jane Bussman. Jane Bussman is a British comedian trying to have a career in Los Angeles and she meet this guy she want to impress and goes to Africa to meet Joseph Kony. The book is funny, I laughed out loud several times which is very unusual for being me. The book is informative, I learned so much about something that I had no idea was happening. It may sound weird with a book that is funny when it also has a very serious side to it, the world has so many books that are either serious or funny so why can't one book be both? I really enjoyed reading it and I'm glad that I somehow chose to buy this book over all the other ones out there. So if you want to learn a little bit more about Joseph Kony and like british dry humor I really recommend it!

3 kommentarer:

  1. It seems that it wasn't published in the US, or is out of print, but I'm going to get it from the library. Thanks for the recommendation!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Watch it! Funny and very good points why not to suport Kony even thou the idea is not bad.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68GbzIkYdc8

    SvaraRadera