torsdag 9 februari 2012

2nd week of classes.

My impressions after my second week of american college life. Let me correct that. NYC FIT college life. I do have my reasons to believe that this is different from most american colleges.


-Teachers are actually really good, at least mine have been better than I expected. Smaller classes then I expected (around 20) makes the teachers really get to know all of our names and keep track of who are active in class. Maybe it's my lucky semester... I have heard another student talking about her teacher that brought work life in to the classroom a little bit to seriously. Example: The students we're supposed to get a nude-colored paper binder and then glue a white-colored paper on top of it and write their names on it. If the paper binder wasn't nude they got one more chance, if you didn't bring a paper binder at all you got fired. I have a really funny picture in my head of how this might have looked. 


-HOMEWORK, I have never in my life had so many homework assignments that are graded. It has usually been 'Read this chapter', not 'read this chapter and discuss around these 3 topics, if the paper is handwritten or late it will not be graded'.


-Multiple choice answer test, YES, sound good to me!


-Essay exams in english on world affairs, I'm already dreading these midterms and finals...


-Starbucks on campus. Everybody walks around with a cup of vanilla rooibos chai latte with skimmed milk and cinnamon or a non fat white chocolate mocha java chip frappuccino , even though it says everywhere that we are not allowed to have foods or drinks in the classrooms. Now they have cute paper mugs with hearts for valentines day. 


-Stand outs. What do I mean by stand out? Everybody dresses as crazy and outrageous as possible. I've seen a guy with blond/purple/pink afro, HIGH heels and platforms, piercings in places I've never seen. I've seen gucci, mulberry bags, Jimmy Choos etc. Everyday I see people that dress great and I see people that dress crazy. I do not see outdoor geeks, patagonia insulators and running shoes (I do occasionally see TNF fleeces at the gym).


- I have at least one gay guy in every class.


-Diversity, people from all over the world, all over USA and all over NYC. My classmates that are from New York City are almost never american by heritage. Croatian, dominican, cuban, spanish, russian etc. Usually a good mix of all of the above.


-Frozen yogurt and rasberry swirl. Häagen-Dazs is american right!? And fantastic.


-Lime tortilla chips. I have loved them for years, but never had the access to them like I have now.




By little brother pointed out that I have made a lot of spelling mistakes (and now he is saying, "Va, jag har inte sagt att det var manga!?") I apologize for my spelling, I have never been good at it and I don't really try to improve. But I guess I have to now with the essays coming up. So if anybody has any tips, please let me know...

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar